Oomph Laughter Workshops
Laughter is one of my favourite Oomphwork tools. Used with purpose and intent, it zooms right in on your sense of fun and freedom, and unleashes a lightness and sparkle that may have been previously quashed.
The laughter workshops that I run are mostly based on the principles of Laughter Yoga - a concept originated in India by a General Practitioner, Dr Madan Kataria. He recognised that sustained bouts of laughter combined with deep breathing can have great benefits to health and wellbeing, and there is an ever- increasing body of evidence to back this up. The laughter is initiated through gentle laughter exercises which are playful and fun.
Three amazing points about laughter:
- Laughing has terrific health benefits (more of this in a moment).
- You don't have to have any particular sense of humour or anything funny to laugh about. You'll find that if you just start making laughter sounds - even in a half-hearted way - it'll become real laughter quite quickly.
- Even if you're just pretending to laugh, it will still do you good, as the mind and body can't tell the difference. You'll still get the same physiological and psychological benefits.
Some health benefits of laughter:
- Helps you to feel good Endorphins and other feelgood hormones are released into the bloodstream straight away.
- Reduces stress The levels of the stress hormone (cortisol) have been shown to drop after Laughter Yoga sessions.
- Boosts your immune system The levels of anti-viral and anti-infection cells increases, and also cells that fight cancer.
- Increases oxygen to the body and brain Helps you to focus and to feel more energised.
- Increases circulation to the digestive and lymphatic systems Helps flush out toxins and waste, and also helps your skin to glow and look radiant.
- Provides you with good aerobic exercise
- Promotes playful behaviour This in turn improves emotional intelligence and creativity.
- Increases self-esteem, confidence and social connection Therefore changes your perspective in a positive way.
- Can dislodge blocked emotions It is therefore an excellent non-violent way to release pent-up feelings.
- Helps you to deal with challenging situations more effectively The majority of the benefits listed above combine to give you a real boost.
Invite me to your event, or into your place of work to run a laughter workshop for yourself and colleagues. Please contact me to discuss.
"Thank you Caroline for a wonderful experience. My team really enjoyed Laughter Yoga and found you to be fun and dynamic. This set the mood for a positive and motivated team away day. I would highly recommend Caroline and her Oomph expertise for any team building day or event. In fact members of my team have already recommended you to other teams, family and friends!Helen Cooper, Poole OPCMHT Team Leader, Dorset HealthCare, University NHS Foundation Trust
"Many thanks for making us all laugh yesterday. It was like a smile for the soul."Louise Jones, Community Relationship Fundraiser Lewis Manning Hospice
"It was great to meet you yesterday. I felt so much happier after your laughter session and I slept so well."Joanne Barker, MyTime Charity for Young Carers
"A much enjoyed session that lifted the spirit, lightened the load and broke down barriers. Really good fun!"Katrina Pringle, Occupational Therapist Dorset County Council